Commonly Used Printing Terms

Ecker Envelope provides you with the following terms to help you understand the printing process and make your printing job go smoothly.


Business Reply or Return Envelope
Center Seam
Commercial Style
Diagonal Seam
Flaps Extended
Flaps Folded Down
Open End
Open Face Window
Open Side
Side Seam
Wallet Flap


Baronial: A style of envelope that has a large pointed seal flap. This style envelope is usually close to being square; however, the flap and paper used are the most distinguishing features. The most common present usage is for greeting cards or social stationary. The name Baronial is derived from "baron" which signifies a high social standing.
Return to top

Booklet: A style of envelope that has its opening on the larger side of the envelope. Also referred to as "Open Side". Preferred by mailers and mailing houses who use automatic inserting machines.
Return to top

Business Reply or Return Envelope: These two envelopes can be any style or size. The distinct difference between them is "who pays the postage?". A Business REPLY is referred to as the envelope that has a pre-printed First-Class Permit and return address on it and the original sender pays for its return. The Business RETURN has a pre-printed return address but the individual returning the envelope must apply postage. The most commonly used envelope for either purpose are the commercial style 6 1/4, 6 3/4 or 9. Another frequently used style is the remittance flap (Collection) style.
Return to top

Catalog: All envelopes with the "open end" flap are called catalog.
Return to top

Center Seam: Is the permanent seam that is located approximately in the center of the envelope running from the bottom fold and seam up through the envelope and terminates at the throat.
Return to top

Commercial Style: These are the most common business style envelopes. They are "open side" of diagonal or side seam construction. Applies to a wide range of sizes from 6 1/4 through 14, both regulars and window envelopes.
Return to top

Diagonal Seam: A seam running diagonally from the bottom fold and corner upward toward the throat of the envelope.
Return to top

Flaps Extended: This term is used to describe a condition of leaving the seal flaps in a vertical position (not folded down).
Return to top

Flaps Folded Down: A term applied to envelopes when their flaps are folded down against the back of the envelope. Most envelopes are packed in boxes in this fashion. It is opposed to flaps extended.
Return to top

Gum: Latex, gum adheres only to itself. Matching pattern must be applied to both flap and body of envelope for sure bond. No other moistener needed. Pressure Sensitive, self adhering seal flap adhesive with a protective strip. No moistening agent required. In addition, there is a wide selection of closures, including clasp, string and button.
Return to top

Open End: A style of envelope on which the opening is on the shorter side. All open end envelopes are called catalog or coin envelopes.
Return to top

Open Face Window: A window left open without a window covering.
Return to top

Open Side: An envelope with an opening along its longest dimension.
Return to top

Regular: A style of Commercial, Official or Bankers Flap envelope which does NOT have a window panel cut in it.
Return to top

Remittance: This envelope is used for mailing correspondence to give the recipient a built-in receipt or response ticket.
Return to top

Side Seam: Is an envelopes seam that runs almost parallel to the side fold.
Return to top

Tint: A printed design on the inside of the envelope to add greater security to its contents.
Return to top

Wallet Flap: A large style seal flap of approximately the same size and shape of the envelopes itself.
Return to top


Ecker Envelope, Inc.
6100 A West Executive Drive Mequon, Wisconsin
p: 262.238.2020 f: 262.238.2030

Copyright © 2017
Web Site Created by: NSCS Inc.
All Rights Reserved.